Did you just get diagnosed with diabetes? Or are you a health freak who cannot stand unhealthy eating? And the most impending question that comes to your mind every waking day is, “what should I eat today?” We understand this question can be quite challenging, even when life is already presenting you with new challenges with every passing minute. However, dear reader, fear not!
Below are 8 easy and delicious meals that can offer some solace in a day full of tiresome chores.
Avocado with fried egg:
- 2 teaspoons oil + more for frying
- 2 slices sourdough bread, 1 inch thick
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
This is a very popular combination for a low-carb breakfast. Moreover, it takes hardly 10 minutes to prepare. Avocado is famous for its good fats and omega 3 fatty acids that, when combined with egg’s lean protein, make a nutritious meal.
Avocados -These buttery and textured treats of fruit are also known to have vitamins C, E, K, and B6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium. Due to the presence of beneficial, healthy fats, they make a person feel fuller for a longer period of time.
On the other hand, Eggs have always been a rich source of protein. They are the most versatile ingredient that can be cooked in numerous ways. They are the best dietary source of choline. This nutrient is crucial for the development of cell membranes and brain function. It also boosts memory. Eggs also possess carotenes essential for eye health, hence giving a boost to eyesight.
Pumpkin and ginger soup:
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 2 shallots
- 75 g ginger
- a few sprigs of fresh herbs, such as chives, mint
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1-liter organic vegetable stock
- 125 ml coconut milk, plus extra to serve
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 lime
This is a rather creative combination. However, it’s highly effective for keeping your blood sugar levels low.
Whenever you hear the word pumpkin, you imagine a jack o lanterns or Halloween. But that’s the only use of pumpkin. It is known to increase insulin production, hence, making it very effective for regulating sugar levels. Moreover, it consists of carbohydrates called polysaccharides, which are highly beneficial for diabetic patients.
Simultaneously, Ginger is packed with antioxidants that help with stress, and it may also help reduce weight.
- 100g dried quinoa
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp wheat-free tamari
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1 cm/ 1/2 slices
- 1 large courgette (about 250g/9oz), sliced
- 100g green beans, tailed and cut in half
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- small pack of coriander, roughly chopped
Quinoa is a superfood in itself. It is a major source of plant-based protein. People who often suffers from spiking blood levels have low levels of magnesium. Whereas magnesium has a huge part in the composition of quinoa. Moreover, due to its high fiber content, it can also help weight loss. It can also aid in reaching the adequate amount of manganese requirement in the body. Manganese is highly useful in the development of one’s metabolism.
- (1 cup blueberry(100 g)
- 1 cup strawberry (150 g), sliced
- ½ cup blackberry (75 g)
- ½ cup raspberry (65 g)
- 1 ½ cups milk (350 mL) of choice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (285 g)
This magical blend consists of ingredients like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Berries are considered to be one of the healthiest natural foods present on the market. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, and a generous amount of folate. Moreover, they are packed with antioxidants named anthocyanins that help with inflammation, which can be a major contributor to a person who has diabetes.
To spruce up your berry smoothie, you could add unsweetened Greek yogurt, some bananas, and spinach.
Cauliflower mac n cheese:
- Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
This comfort food will lift your mood without lifting your blood sugar levels. Cauliflower has a high-water content, and it’s rich in fiber, protein, potassium, and folate. The fiber helps with digestion and keeps it working efficiently.
Chicken and chickpea salad:
- 1 cup pulled cooked chicken breast
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (I grilled mine)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup BBQ dressing, if desired
- 2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped
Salads have always been a soulful blend of nutrients while remaining within health-beneficial limits. This salad can be a quick snack fix or a one-time meal portion.
Chickpeas have a low glycaemic index. This means that our body absorbs the nutrients from them slowly. Furthermore, they also have a starch named amylose, which digests slowly. Hence, keeping the insulin levels in check and keeping the blood glucose levels balanced.
The other essential ingredient, chicken, is a well-known source of protein. Moreover, chicken can also help in maintaining a low cholesterol level.
Dijon Salmon & Spinach:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 24oz (four 6oz) salmon filets, center-cut (recommended)
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 5 cups raw spinach
This dish will definitely become a regular for you because it is really easy to make and needs only a single skillet to cook. So, almost no dishes to wash day, too!
Seafood Is a safe house for anyone who is looking for a healthy meal. Almost all varieties of seafood are low in calories and high in nutritional value.
Salmon, yes, that pink meat fish, is famous due to its high Omega-3 fatty acids. These poly saturated fats help keep cholesterol low, aid in the prevention of obesity, and keep diabetes away.
In addition to that, when you throw mustard in the mix of this recipe, you will discover that mustard in itself is a very beneficial ingredient. It is rich in antioxidants like glucosinolates that may help keep cancerous cells, infections, bacteria, and fungus at bay.
The third ingredient, spinach, holds a great nutritional value on its own it oozes with healthy antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid. This antioxidant increases insulin sensitivity and prevents oxidative, stress-induced changes in patients with diabetes.
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 28-oz. can of whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
- 1-1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of all three
Soups are food for the soul. They do go straight to the heart, and this tomato soup is rather an old contender in the game of new discoveries in the health industry. Tomato soup has always been associated with cold winter nights when you need a quick warm-up.
When we look at the nutritional value of tomatoes, we can see that they are packed and loaded with antioxidants, flavonoids, and vitamins C and E, among many others. But they are a major source of an antioxidant called lycopene, which has been linked to heart health and the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, it contains vitamin K, which promotes bone health.